(1) It is Mustahab to hasten with Iftar (breaking the fast) as soon as the sun has set.
(2) Iftar should be made before the Maghrib Salat.
(3) The Muath-thin should make Iftar before proclaiming the Athan.
(4) At the time of Iftar it is Sunnat to recite the following dua:
"Allahuma inni laka sumtu wa 'ala rizqika aftartu".
"O Allah! for thy sake I have fasted and now I break the fast with the food that comes from thee."
(5) Iftar should preferably be made with dates. In the absence of dates, water is best. Although this is best, it is permissible to break the fast with any lawful food or drink.
(6) It is Makrooh to make iftar when in doubt regarding sunset. If it is overcast, iftar should be delayed until there is absolute certainty that the sun has set.
(7) If iftar is made even a minute before sunset, qadha of the fast is incumbent.
(8) It is Makrooh, to unnecessarily delay Iftar.
(9) The time of Iftar is very auspicious. Dua is readily accepted at the time when the fast is about to end.